Monday, November 2, 2009

Who said French people wont speak English??

I guess that there is this general understanding or experience for most people to think that French people do not speak English even though they can or they do.

Well, I did and do not experience so at all! Obviously I have a certain non-francophone accent when I speak French, so people realize that I am not French at all when I speak the language. I most frequently get the "where are you from?" question when I speak, but even worse, sometimes people reply to me in English. I kind of feel offended for my french when this happens but I try not to loose my cool and reply back in french and say, "dont worry, I understand and speak french". Sometimes it is persuasive enough and I get to continue the conversation in french,but sometimes it is not the case and they still talk back in English. So then, I wonder why so many people get the idea that French people would not speak English even though it seems like they can to some people around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments