Monday, December 21, 2009

I HAVE A QUESTION!!!

I have this question which has been bugging me for some years now and I might have shared this with certain people during those “lost in my deep thinking” trips that I get every now and then… I would like to “publicize” this question to see if somebody has some answers!

CAN ALLIGATORS JUMP???????

I know that they can jump from inside the water to outside the water (to land) when they are hunting, but that is not my question. My question is that, when you have an alligator following you on land and you manage to climb on a rock or whatsoever, can they jump to bite you? Or are you safe once you are on some higher location than ground level?

Or say that there is an alligator down the stairs in your house, can it climb the stairs? I wonder if it can push and pull itself up the stairs with its huge jaw… I guess not given the fact that the jaw would not fit on one step, but I still can not persuade myself that it is entirely safe.

Does anybody have any answers???

2 comments:

  1. ok, just to keep your thoughts safe, i made some research !
    (from wikipedia)
    1- "Alligators are only native in United States and China." Therefore, if youre not planning to move to either places, youre safe until one escapes a zoo in Paris.
    2- "They tend to be timid around humans. They usually swim or pass by .. " yeeey!
    3- "The muscles that close the jaws are exceptionally strong, but the muscles to open the jaw are relatively weak in comparison.As a result, an adult man can hold an alligator's jaws shut with his bare hands. In general, a strip of duct tape is enough to prevent an adult alligator from opening its jaws." Therefore, if you manage to find the alligator in your living room with jaws shut, go grab a ducktape and get working!

    ((now, from wikianswers)
    i found the below:
    * do alligators jump?
    - "with the aid of their tail, alligators can jump at out of the water. "
    * do alligators jump on dry ground?
    - "I don't think alligators jump... "

    but on the other hand, see what i have found ..dindindin ..

    http://www.mallowandgogo.com/gallery/view_photo_properties.php?set_albumName=floridakeys&index=68&gallery_popup=true

    if they can climb trees, i would assume climbing up to a higher level of ground would not help you to escape the alligator.

    and finally, this made me realize you are not the only one with these in mind. here ;
    ( from googleanswers )
    "Q - I have not been able to find the answer to my grandson's
    question--can alligators jump, as over a fence? I thought I heard once
    that they could. Could you answer this one for us, please?

    A - Alligators cannot jump over fences, but I have seen alligators up
    to six feet long climb over both chicken wire and chain-link fences.
    I'm not sure how high they might climb to get over a fence, but
    certainly several feet."

    i believe with all this contradicting information, it is best to keep your distance and lock your door xD
    besos.
    ( i can not believe i made a 15min long search and wrote a term paper long post on this :D )

    ReplyDelete
  2. well yea you really did take it seriously, I knew I could count on u my dear friend!!! In my drunken mind I thought I would always be safe "up there somewhere" apparently I m better off being just far from an alligator than just "up" :)))
    hahhah!! my questions are to be continued tho!! :))
    P.S. Egypt has damn big allgators too, wikipedia seems to have skipped that!!

    ReplyDelete

comments